We welcome you to a journey of lifetime that will not only change you forever but will touch the hearts and minds of Canadians from coast to coast. For all its appeal, riding as a National Rider will be a challenging undertaking but the time on and off the bike will amount to an incredible life experience and meaningful journey.
We select our National Riders through a selection process based ability to fundraise, ability to operate as part of a team, the ability to ride & train, and most important their passion to make a meaningful difference in the health outcomes of kids living with and beyond cancer.
So what is involved?
- Training to allow you to cycle approximately 165 kms per day for the 15 days of the 2010 event
- a $3,995 Registration Fee to pay for event costs
- With the help of event organizers the commitment to fundraise + $25,000 for childhood cancer;
- And he desire to act as an ambassador for the cause
Here what participants from previous year’s events had to say:
On reflection, I am surprised that the cycling was so secondary, overwhelmed by the impact of these events and learning in such a firsthand way of the tangible benefits experienced by these children as a result of the recent advances in research and treatment. I consider myself so lucky to have had this once in a lifetime opportunity to give back in this way. More »
The first few days we climbed, we bonded and we began to form a team. We faced long days with little sleep and pushed forward to the Prairies. We had been isolated for many days when a small town in Saskatewan appeared in the distance. We expected a small sears store with very few people and a meal to keep us going. What we got was truly amazing! 500 kids cheering us on and an entire community coming together in support of this great cause. What a rush and exactly what our team needed. More »
I just finished up the most awesome journey that I must say has been life changing for me! I volunteered for the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride where 50 cyclist's rode from Vancouver to Halifax in 19 days to raise money and awareness for kids who are afflicted with childhood cancer. Without a word of exaggeration, this is without a doubt the best thing I've ever done or been involved with in my life. I lost a nephew a very long time ago to leukemia (he would've been 23 in October) and this was a way for me to give back and honour his memory. More »
2008 National Crew
A Day In the Life of a National Rider
If you become a National Rider, hang on tight…it promises to be quite the ride!
As a National Rider as part of the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride, your experience will be like no other. While there are many athletic fundraising events, this Event has proven in its’ first two years to be one of the biggest, and most ambitious charity cycling event in the world on behalf of childhood cancer! As a National Rider, you will be part of an elite group of athletes selected from every part of this great country, all united in a single cause…to make a meaningful and lasting difference in the lives of Canadian children, and their families, living with and beyond cancer. Your sweat and determination will help make the cause of childhood cancer a national priority. Our destination - beyond cancer!
We select National Riders not necessarily because they are an expert cyclist but more important because of your passionate for our cause; a cause that is the leading cause of non-accidental death of kids in Canada. Perhaps you are a cancer survivor, or a sibling, a parent, a family friend, or just someone who wants to inspire and empower others to unite in the fight against childhood cancer.
From the moment you qualify as a National Rider you will become part of a team dedicated to helping children win in the biggest fight of their lives. And the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride Support Team will be there to help you every step of the way!
Before the Ride
- A special team from Can-Fit-Pro and Absolute Endurance will work with you to develop a customized training & nutrition plan to prepare you for your share of the cross-Canada journey.
- The Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation will work with you to develop an integrated fundraising program and community involvement program to ensure you reach your fundraising goals.
- You will be given your own personal webpage and blog, as well as link you to a private on-line forum with the other national team members to help you prepare for the challenge ahead, share your stories with supporters and collect on-line fundraising.
- And National Riders from the 2008 and 2009 events will act as personal mentors and coaches to ensure you are ready mentally, emotionally and physically for the journey that lies ahead.
During the Ride
Every aspect of your physical (and mental) well-being will be taken care of 24/7 - nutrition, accommodations, massage, physiotherapy, medical, transportation, etc. You will be part of a supportive and nurturing team whose sole objective is to ensure your comfort and safety, allowing you to focus 100% on the physical challenges of completing the ride and, of course, raising awareness and funds for childhood cancer. Your support team is there to ensure your success and create a memory for a lifetime.
During the 15 day event yes you will cycle. Averaging 165 kms a day, you will cycle in relay style with a team of 50 to 90 other national cyclists selected from across Canada. You will kick off each day with an emotional dedication to a family impacted by kids cancer. At lunch you will typically cycle into a community event hosted by one of our amazing sponsors, and will finish the day at a family based community event that celebrates what can be accomplished when like minded individuals join together for a common cause. In all it will leaving a lasting impression that will stay with you the rest of your life. People join because they want to cycle across Canada; what they remember is the impact the event, and the kids they ride for, had on them for the rest of their lives.
See what other riders had to say »
After the Ride
- As an ambassador - a leader and role model in the fight against childhood cancer, you can can choose to continue to play a major role in developing Foundation fundraising programs and initiatives within your local community
- You will be part of all of our Sears National Kids Cancer Ride outreach programs and events and may be called upon by media and other organizations to share your experiences.
To be considered for the National Ride in 2010, please complete the online application form. All national riders are required to complete the online application form after which one of the Event Organizers will contact you by phone or in person. Only one submission will be accepted from each applicant.
Not interested in riding but want to make a meaningful difference in the lives of kids living with and beyond cancer? There many ways to be part of this spectacular experience! Click below to learn how you can ride, volunteer or donate. Please give your support and help thousands of brave children get back to being just kids again.
More questions? Please contact or some of the event organizers dedicated to making this a life changing experience.